To educate and inspire people of all ages to understand, protect and preserve the wetland environment and its wildlife through fun, engaging and interactive environmental awareness programs.
Booking a program?
Choose one from our listing: GBHNR School Program Brochure 2015-16
- We prefer that you use the online form below to submit a booking request
- Or contact the Great Blue Heron Nature Reserve by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone at 604-823-6603 and ask for Camille.
- Each program lasts 1 hour. The Environmental Programs are delivered by our knowledgeable Environmental Educators and our Wildlife Art classes are delivered by an engaging local artist. Try one of both for a fabulous mix of Art and Nature.
- Booking includes use of picnic Area and/or the Discovery Annex Classroom for inclement weather.
Bringing a class on your own?
- Let us know so we can coordinate arrivals and departures and let you know where the booked group will be working.
- There is no indoor space available for groups to eat or gather
- If there are no booked groups on site, the Discovery Annex classroom may be available to use for a small donation.
- $100 per program per class
- Book two programs on the same day for the same class and get a special rate of $150.
- Max one class per program and supervising parents
- Cancellation Fee $50 per class unless special circumstances are demonstrated.
- We have special parent participation programs for you!
- Come explore nature with a Wetlands Discovery Walk About with activities for ages 3 and 4.
- Total groups size is limited to one class (one parent per child)
- Program fee $75 per class.
When you inquire about booking a program please let us know:
- The program you would like
- Your preferred date and time
- The name of your school/group
- Your contact name, email and phone number
- The grade and number of students
- If you have a student with limited mobility or a wheelchair bound student
Middle School and High Schools
- Although our programs are geared towards a younger audience, if your middle or high school class is interested in a visit please call the Great Blue Heron Nature Reserve and a program or environmental project can be arranged.
Notes for Teachers & Group Leaders
- Please plan your bus to arrive 10 minutes before your start time.
- Walk your class to the Discovery Annex Classrooms or Outdoor Amphitheatre as directed in the confirmation email.
- Discovery Annex Classrooms are a 3 minute walk west of the lower round about & bus parking
- Programs starting late will still need to be finished on time due to other booked events.
- Programs run rain or shine so please have students be prepared to be outside!
- Proper outerwear and footwear is a must.
- Cancellations are subject to a $50 cancellation fee per class if less than 3 days notice unless exceptional circumstances (not for rain!).
- Max six supervising parents unless previously discussed.
- No siblings or extra adults permitted but may come and use the site and join the class on their free time.
- The Rotary Interpretive Centre at the Great Blue Heron Nature Reserve has outdoor and indoor classrooms.
- Washrooms are available inside the Interpretive Centre
- An outhouse is located next to the Discovery Classrooms.
- Please plan to eat snacks and lunches outside.
- Outdoor picnic tables are located by the Interpretive Centre , next to the Discovery Classrooms and next to the Lower Parking lot.
- Feel free to bring a pop up shelter for shade or rain.
- In case of rain students may be able to eat in the classroom if it is not booked for another program.
- Please have the students clean up the tables, chairs and floor.
- All trails and facilities are wheelchair-accessible.
- Bus drop off is in the lower round about, enter from Sumas Prairie Road, go up and over the dyke and down into the parking loop.
- Additional car parking is to the left, below the dyke, outside the gates.
- Parking for the disabled is inside the gates, on top of the dyke, near the Rotary Interpretive Centre or in the lower round about.