To educate and inspire people of all ages to understand, protect and preserve the wetland environment and its wildlife through fun, engaging and interactive environmental awareness programs.
Booking a program?
Choose one from our listing: GBHNR School Program Brochure 2016-17
- We are having issues with our online booking, so if you tried to do an online booking and got no response, (or just need to book, in general) please contact the Great Blue Heron Nature Reserve by email at email@example.com, or by phone at 604-823-6603 and ask for Camille.
- Each program lasts 1 hour. The Environmental Programs are delivered by our knowledgeable Environmental Educators and our Wildlife Art classes are delivered by an engaging local artist. Try one of both for a fabulous mix of Art and Nature.
- Booking includes use of picnic Area and/or the Discovery Annex Classroom for inclement weather.
Bringing a class on your own?
- Let us know so we can coordinate arrivals and departures and let you know where the booked group will be working.
- There is no indoor space available for groups to eat or gather
- If there are no booked groups on site, the Discovery Annex classroom may be available to use for a small donation.
- $100 per program per class
- Book two programs on the same day for the same class and get a special rate of $150.
- Max one class per program and supervising parents
- Cancellation Fee $50 per class unless special circumstances are demonstrated.
- We have special parent participation programs for you!
- Come explore nature with a Wetlands Discovery Walk About with activities for ages 3 and 4.
- Total groups size is limited to one class (one parent per child)
- Program fee $75 per class.
When you inquire about booking a program please let us know:
- The program you would like
- Your preferred date and time
- The name of your school/group
- Your contact name, email and phone number
- The grade and number of students
- If you have a student with limited mobility or a wheelchair bound student
Middle School and High Schools
- Although our programs are geared towards a younger audience, if your middle or high school class is interested in a visit please call the Great Blue Heron Nature Reserve and a program or environmental project can be arranged.
Notes for Teachers & Group Leaders
- Please plan your bus to arrive 10 minutes before your start time.
- Walk your class to the Discovery Annex Classrooms or Outdoor Amphitheatre as directed in the confirmation email.
- Discovery Annex Classrooms are a 3 minute walk west of the lower round about & bus parking
- Programs starting late will still need to be finished on time due to other booked events.
- Programs run rain or shine so please have students be prepared to be outside!
- Proper outerwear and footwear is a must.
- Cancellations are subject to a $50 cancellation fee per class if less than 3 days notice unless exceptional circumstances (not for rain!).
- Max six supervising parents unless previously discussed.
- No siblings or extra adults permitted but may come and use the site and join the class on their free time.
- The Rotary Interpretive Centre at the Great Blue Heron Nature Reserve has outdoor and indoor classrooms.
- Washrooms are available inside the Interpretive Centre
- An outhouse is located next to the Discovery Classrooms.
- Please plan to eat snacks and lunches outside.
- Outdoor picnic tables are located by the Interpretive Centre , next to the Discovery Classrooms and next to the Lower Parking lot.
- Feel free to bring a pop up shelter for shade or rain.
- In case of rain students may be able to eat in the classroom if it is not booked for another program.
- Please have the students clean up the tables, chairs and floor.
- All trails and facilities are wheelchair-accessible.
- Bus drop off is in the lower round about, enter from Sumas Prairie Road, go up and over the dyke and down into the parking loop.
- Additional car parking is to the left, below the dyke, outside the gates.
- Parking for the disabled is inside the gates, on top of the dyke, near the Rotary Interpretive Centre or in the lower round about.